Our campus-supported Vidyo system provides the opportunity to enhance teaching and learning both on and off campus. A significant advantage of using Vidyo for videoconferencing is the ease it offers to bringing in a remote speaker or presenter to a traditional classroom of students.
The best method for accomplishing this task is to use one of the existing ITV (Interactive Television) classroom locations. These classrooms are equipped with student microphones, cameras, and additional specialized equipment to facilitate active engagement among ALL participants and virtual guests.
Steps for Installing Vidyo & Inviting Guests to Join Meeting
Following are Vidyo installation steps as well as instructions for generating a Vidyo meeting invitation to email to guests:
1) Go to http://vportal.csc.edu to download the Vidyo client and follow the steps provided to install it. Administrative rights are ONLY necessary on Apple computers.
2) After installation, enter the VidyoPortal address (vportal.csc.edu) and your registered user account credentials.
3) After logging in, click on your name and select the “envelope” icon.
4) After clicking the “envelope” icon, a pre-populated email message (Vidyo Meeting Invitation) will display in your default email program. The message contains complete details instructing guests how to participate in the video conference.
Steps for Connecting ITV & Initiating Recording
Following are the basic steps necessary to connect an ITV classroom using Vidyo and to initiate the recording process:
1) Power on the ITV system using the wireless ITV control box (press and hold room power on/off button for 5 secs until equipment turns on).
2) Login to the classroom computer and login to the Vidyo desktop client (update if prompted or install Vidyo desktop client from http://vportal.csc.edu if necessary).
3) On the computer Vidyo client, click on your name and choose “connect to room.”
4) Inside the main Vidyo window, click on the “control meeting” icon to launch recording options in the browser.
5) Within the browser control meeting options, DISCONNECT YOURSELF from conference (red telephone icon).
6) Connect the ITV system EITHER by using the “book” function on the ITV control box (provided you are listed in the ITV system phonebook) OR by “adding room as a participant” using the control meeting interface.
7) ITV systems are designated with “03” as the search delimiter. Select the correct ITV room from the list and choose to “invite.”
8) Verify the ITV room has connected to your Vidyo account. You are now ready to record.
9) NOTE: It is critical to operate the meeting (mute/unmute, switch cameras, presentation mode, etc.) using ITV control system in order to produce a successful recording.
If you would like to learn more about using Vidyo and/or have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Teaching and Learning Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Increasingly, the TLC will focus its efforts on reporting emerging technologies that enhance teaching and learning. As we review technologies within the TLC, we will hold informational seminars and invite faculty to participate in a testing and review process. To discuss and/or suggest “new arrival” gadgets, please stop in for a visit or contact the TLC’s IT Analyst, Jereme Patterson (email@example.com or 308.432.6234).