CSC Online-Sakai will be unavailable on March 5, 2019, 6 am – 12 pm MT in order to update to the currently supported version of the Sakai learning management system.
Impact on Students, Faculty, and Staff
- CSC Online-Sakai will be unavailable during the scheduled upgrade window on March 5, 2019.
- Upon completion of the upgrade, all course tools, content, and layouts in active courses will not be impacted. LMS users will notice minor adjustments concerning mobile navigation, the Favorite Sites bar, and styling adjustments (such as colors and button sizes).
Additional Changes for Faculty
In addition to the previously listed changes, the following will also directly impact course instructors:
- The Modules tool and all content contained in the Modules tool will not be available in all course sites.
- The TLC has preserved Modules content in many previous courses. Faculty are responsible for verifying that all content needed for future courses is preserved, and to contact the TLC (email@example.com, ext. 7068) for any assistance prior to Feb 22, 2019.
- This change does not affect any active course. Modules was removed from the list of available course tools in December 2017. Content in other tools (e.g. Resources, Lessons, etc.) will not be affected.
- Minor user interface changes to improve user experience on mobile devices and an improved Favorite Sites navigation menu.
- Improved process for testing accommodations. A new option will be available to extend delivery of Tests & Quizzes for select students or groups.
- Lessons tool enhancements. Allow optional navigation of subpages in the left-hand menu. New embeddable Lessons widgets for forums, announcements, calendar, and resources.
- The Lessons tool enhancements will not affect active courses. Instructors may choose to utilize any of the new features.
- Behind-the-scenes changes to greatly improve compliance with web accessibility standards.
- Bug fixes and platform updates to improve performance, stability and system security.
Training and Communications
- Students and faculty will be notified of the upgrade and related downtime via School meetings, VPAA Update, a Sakai banner ad, and an email announcement.
- Faculty and adjuncts will be invited to participate in “What’s New in CSC Online” sessions. The latest version of CSC Online will be demonstrated and questions will be answered.
- Four sessions are scheduled to be offered in-person and via Zoom in February. Faculty and adjuncts may request additional sessions or one-on-one consultations (in-person or via Zoom) by contacting the TLC (firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 7068).
|2/12/19, 8:00 am||“What’s New in CSC Online” session #1 (in person – Old Admin #030)|
|2/12/19, 5:00 pm||“What’s New in CSC Online” session #2 (video conference – csc.zoom.us/j/3084327089)|
|2/15/19, 3:30 pm||“What’s New in CSC Online” session #3 (in person – Old Admin #030)|
|2/21/19, 5:00 pm||“What’s New in CSC Online” session #4 (video conference – csc.zoom.us/j/3084327089)|
|2/22/19||Deadline to contact TLC for assistance with preserving Modules content|
|3/5/19||CSC Online-Sakai upgrade is scheduled for 6 am – 12 pm.|