The Teaching & Learning Center staff is excited to introduce a new default template for CSC Online course sites scheduled to be included in all Fall 2018 Term courses. Using the features of the Lessons tool, the template is offered as an option to assist with efforts related to course design and may be particularly helpful for those inexperienced in online teaching or less familiar with ways to facilitate learning via design in online environments. We enthusiastically recommend it as a basic framework to guide in creating online courses that enhance the learning experience for CSC students.
Grounded in solid instructional design principles, the template provides clear and consistent structure and intuitive navigation. These elements work to create an intentionally inviting environment to improve the potential for student success. The tool aims to address, in whole or in part, several specific review standards of the Quality Matters rubric. Some features of the template include:
- a Guide to Online Learning at Chadron State College to provide students with consistent information and resources to reference for accessing technical support, academic success resources, student services, expectations associated with online learning, and more;
- an accessible CSC Syllabus template;
- a component to invite students into the course and help them to get started; and
- consistently formatted components, placeholders, and resources to aid instructors in structuring course units.
Getting Started with Using the Template
We invite you to become familiar with the first version of the template and experience the potential it offers to support course design in CSC Online. To take a test drive of the template:
- Join this demo of the template course site. Click “Yes” when prompted to join the site. Once you have joined the demo site, it will always be available in your Sites menu under Development.
- Navigate to the Welcome page of the course menu for specific instructions related to using the template.
- During your tour of the template, you will also find examples and instructions to assist in creating an accessible syllabus and in adding content to units organized in the Course Units page.
We welcome your constructive comments and suggestions regarding the instructions, examples, resources, and other aspects of the template. We appreciate your feedback focused on improving future iterations of the template.
If you are teaching Summer 2018 Term courses and are interested in using the template prior to the fall term rollout, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the summer term courses for which you would like to use the template.
Register for the TLC Workshop Meet the New CSC Online Template to explore the features of the template and to take away some ideas to apply in structuring your courses. The workshop is scheduled for the following days and times:
Do you have conflicts with all of these session times? Contact email@example.com to
request a time and day that will work for you!