As an online instructor in Sakai, you may often need to add additional faculty or staff members to your courses. As the site owner, you have the ability to make these changes yourself—without contacting the Sakai administrator.
For instance, you may need to add a colleague to your course in order to team teach or share content. Additionally, you may need to add staff members, such as teaching assistants or course designers, to assist with managing your course. The step-by-step instructions below make the process quick and easy.
Step 1: In the desired site in which you are an Instructor or Organizer, click Site Info from the tools menu on the left side of the page.
Step 2: In the Site Editor, click Add Participants.
Step 3: Under Other Official Participants, enter the email address or username of the new site member. For CSC staff members, either the email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the associated username (jsmith) will be accepted. You may list multiple individuals if needed. Keep the default settings, or modify accordingly, and click Continue.
Step 4: Select the role (level of access) the new member will have.
For course sites:
- Instructor – The admin-level role for a course site. Can modify and copy all course content, view/edit grades, and add additional participants.
- Observer – Can view most course content, but not some student information.
- Student – Can only view content designated for the student role.
For project sites:
- Organizer – Admin-level role. Can view and edit all pages and resources in the site, including the private Drop Boxes of other members
- Participant – can only view pages, public resources, and their own Drop Box.
Step 5: Choose if you want to send an automatic email to the new member (set to Don’t Send) by default and Continue.
Step 6: Verify all information is accurate, and click Finish to complete adding the new site member.
For more information about this and other Sakai tips, contact IT Specialist Sam Ballard (email@example.com).