Updated – 5/6/16
We’ve been made aware of some confusion or concern regarding this article. Please allow me to help clarify some of the major points. I will continue to update the article as new questions are raised.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Wait, what’s happening?!
- The Modules tool will eventually be removed from Sakai. It has not been actively supported by the community since 2014. We want to get started training people on Lessons and moving content away from Modules before it goes away completely.
- What is Lessons and Modules? The titles are confusing and were changed recently.
- Modules is a Sakai tool that was called Lessons prior to the Sakai 10 upgrade in March. The majority of courses taught in Sakai still use Modules to display course lesson plans.
- Lessons is the tool that was previously called Lessons Builder prior to the upgrade. In other words, before March 2016, you were calling the Modules tool “Lessons” and the Lessons tool was called “Lessons Builder”.
- This was a confusing, but very necessary change, to upgrade CSC Online to the community supported version of Sakai.
- What will faculty (course owners) need to do?
- All content that is currently in Modules will eventually need to be moved to the Lessons tool. Faculty will be responsible for moving their content, however, we will release a conversion tool and support documents to make this easier.
- How long do we have?
- We are hoping to accomplish this before August 2017.
- What happens after August 2017?
- After August 2017, the Lessons tool will be completely used in place of Modules. The Modules tool will still remain in the system for the time-being (for archival purposes), however it will be removed when CSC Online is upgraded to Sakai 11.
- Is this another name change?
- No, we are abandoning Modules and moving to Lessons, these are two separate tools.
- How do we transfer content before course shells are created?
- Fall course shells are planned to be created in June each year, Spring shells in October.
- For courses taught on rotation or other non-active sites, instructors may need to work in the most recent version of the course to move content from Modules to Lessons. This way, Lessons will be ready to import into the active shell when the time comes.
— Original Article —
The next critical step in our on-going initiative to improve CSC Online is abandoning the Modules tool. We are turning our attention to the Lessons tool (formerly known as Lessons Builder) which is actively supported by the Sakai developer community. Lessons provides a much-improved student learning experience and allows instructors to present course content in a more organized way. Currently, several faculty and adjunct instructors are successfully using this tool to teach courses in CSC Online-Sakai.
By August 1, 2017, all CSC Online courses must exclusively use the Lessons tool. On this date, the Modules tool will no longer be available. CSC faculty members play an important part in this transition, and we request their assistance to successfully make this change.
In the coming weeks, the TLC will provide tools and resources to help course owners and instructors migrate content from Modules to Lessons and archive all other vital content. Watch for several announcements regarding tools and resources for migrating/archiving Modules content as well as training on the new Lessons tool features. Many of these tools and resources are courtesy of the past hard work contributed by Sakai community members.
Listed below are three resources to help get started using Lessons (links open in new tab):
- Longsight: Sakai Instructor Guide – Lessons
- Duke University: Getting started with the Lessons tool
- Sakai Project Confluence: Lessons features and specifications
The timeline for completing the migration from Modules to Lessons follows:
|Description of Goal||
|Training and consultations on the Lessons tool (Lessons Builder) and migrating course content from the Modules tool||
Offered Continuously (TBA)
May 2016 – July 2017
|Active term courses are using Lessons||
|Lessons will replace Modules as the default tool in Sakai shells (but will continue to work in past term courses)||
Prior to Summer 2017
|Modules content archived in all courses (past and current terms)||
|Modules tool no longer available as a tool option in Sakai sites||
|Modules is removed from the system||
Prior to Sakai 11 Upgrade (TBA)
For questions about the migration away from Modules, or other CSC Online – Sakai topics, contact the Teaching and Learning Center IT specialist Sam Ballard at email@example.com or 432-7089.