The Library Learning Commons has a new Director of Transitional Studies, Tamara Toomey. Prior to becoming the Director of Transitional Studies, Ms. Toomey worked in the CSC START Office as an Academic Advisor. While working as an Academic Advisor, Ms. Toomey was asked what her dream job would be. Her reply was: “Director of Transitional Studies!” One of the primary reasons Ms. Toomey was interested in Transitional Studies was because she understands what it is like to “step out of the comfort of what is known to you.” In addition, it has always been her desire to work with a population that she was part of as a college student.
Ms. Toomey has an extensive work experience in the academic/education system. In addition to her position as an Academic Advisor at CSC, she was the Program Coordinator for Kids on Campus at Ohio University, a Corps Member Advisor for Teach for America, and a 7th grade Reading teacher. She feels these experiences have enhanced her ability to successfully implement and manage the Transitional Studies Program.
According to Ms. Toomey, Transitional Studies is designed to provide students the opportunity to build stronger academic skills as they transition from high school to college, to positively impact their experience at Chadron State College, and to make every effort to accomplish their academic goals by:
- Connecting students to appropriate academic resources
- Providing personalized academic advising
- Connecting students to career exploration resources
- Creating individual proscriptive course schedules
- Instructing Academic Success Skills courses
- Providing tools for students to utilize to be successful in the Essential Studies Program.
The Transitional Studies Program also offers students the opportunity to build stronger academic skills as they work towards their academic goals by offering:
- Courses designed to help students succeed in Essential Studies and major courses
- Optional placement testing
- Individualized course scheduling
- Personal academic advising
- Elective credit for coursework within programs
- Connection to resources such as Project Strive, the Learning Center, and Career and Academic Planning Services