The week before spring semester classes started, the LLC and TLC staff moved every book between Dewey number 340 and 779.999. That means every book on the south side of the upper level (24,431) and every book from the Law Library on the lower level (3,161) was moved to a new location. In total, over 27,500 books were shifted!
LLC and TLC staff members divided into two teams for this project. The two teams worked in groups of two, with new team members tagging in every two hours. Each team worked for six hours each day. This means that LLC and TLC staff spent a total of 48 person hours per day on this project!
The books were moved for several reasons:
- To utilize empty shelving
- To fill in holes made by the weeding project
- To open up the top and bottom shelves to make retrieving books easier and allow for future collection expansion
- To adjust shelves in the art sections so that the books can stand upright and minimize damage to the spine of the books
- To allow light to penetrate between stacks for better visibility
- To allow the creation of the law collection area in the southwest corner of the upper level
If you are having trouble locating a particular book please feel free to ask for assistance at the Circulation Desk or the Reference Desk.